/ Company / History / 50s
1951 – Baltona – Supply of ships was subordinated to the Ministry of Foreign Trade.
Sale of consumer, food and industrial, hotel-economic and technical, both domestic and imported goods.
The scope of core business of Baltona included: Supplying of Polish and foreign ships at sea harbours.
- Supplying of Polish and foreign ships at sea harbours.
- Supplying of Polish and foreign ships in foreign harbours through the facilities in these harbours acting on the basis of contracts or agreements concluded with the company.
- Export of goods to duty free zones of foreign harbours for ship owners.
- Running consignment warehouses (storage) with goods imported in Polish harbours and domestic goods and imported in foreign harbours to sell these goods to the supply of Polish and foreign ships.
Storage warehouses, inter alia, in Finland (A.Liljefors), the Canary Islands (Tracosa).
Additional business of the company included:
- Sales of goods for hard currency to diplomatic missions accredited in Poland and abroad and Polish diplomatic missions abroad.
– 1952 the company was ordered to supply the national deep-sea fishing fleet: At that time, the stores were organized for Polish sailors under the so-called sailing exports, in which authorized employees of fishing and trade ship owners could purchase, in exchange for so-called vouchers, various goods at foreign exchange rates; this activity was finished in June 1958.
- 1956 Baltona launched, on its own initiative, sales for hard currency to the duty free zones in foreign harbours for foreign companies and ship owners.
- 1956 At the end of the year, supplying of foreign diplomatic missions accredited in Poland and employees of Polish diplomatic missions abroad was started.
- 1958 A foreign exchange stand was opened for exhibitors and trade fair visitors at the International Fairs in Poznań.
- The supply of goods to foreign ships is based on orders placed by “Baltona” ship loading and unloading employees as a result of their acquisition carried out on foreign ships. “Baltona” ship loading and unloading employees receive commission remuneration. Supply of goods to Polish ships was made on the basis of orders placed to Baltona by the management of ships and ship owners.
- On 1 January 1963, the total employment in Baltona was 515 employees, including 291 white-collar workers and 224 blue-collar workers.
- The registered office of the company was then in Gdynia – Harbour. French Quay.